Kravaře Castle is located on the southeastern outskirts of the town of Kravaře and is connected to a large park, most of which is now used as a golf course. The castle is a valuable monument of Baroque architecture in Silesia, today it is the property of the town and the seat of the Castle Museum.
History of the castle
Kravaře was first mentioned in 1224, later it became the centre of a smaller estate, but today it is not known where the original fortress of the Lords of Kravaře stood. A later fortress, mentioned in 1553, stood on the site of today's chateau and included a brewery, a malt house and a farmyard. From 1636 Kravaře was the property of the Eichendorff family, who had an early Baroque chateau built here shortly after the Thirty Years' War. The rising prestige of the family led the free lord Jan Rudolf of Eichendorff to radically rebuild the castle into a magnificent Baroque mansion (1721-1728).
During the 18th century, the Eichendorff family went into debt and in 1782 they had to sell Kravaře. The new owners, the Counts Schaffgotsch (1782-1815), lived here permanently, but further changes in the castle's architecture did not occur until the time of Count Gabriel Rudzinski (1815-1844) and his sister Eufemie, married to Countess Renard (1844-1853). The last private owner was Felix Luschka (1885-1968), a Kravaře native, lawyer and member of the National Assembly, who owned the chateau from 1911 to 1914. In 1918, the chateau was taken over by the Central Economic Society for Moravia and Silesia, and from 1921 it was administered by the Czechoslovak state, which had an economic school established there. In 1937 the chateau was almost completely burnt down, only the chapel in the southern facade was preserved in its original form; it was again damaged by bombing in the spring of 1945, when the Ostrava Operation was taking place in the region.