Lenin Monument in Petrozavodsk
Record: 6.50 m
Monument to Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
On November 7, 1933, a new monument was unveiled in Circular Square (former Square of the 25th of October 1917).
The authors of the monument sculptor M.G.Manizer and architect L.A.Ilyin enmarbled Lenin standing at a podium and delivering a speech. The leader is wearing a winter coat and he holds a Russian hat in his hand.
That is the only stone sculpture made by Matvey Manizer. The monument is made of 14 blocks of grey granite. On the whole, they weighted about 140 tones. The granite was mined by Gulag returnees on the island of Goltsy.
The granite was dressed by the “Marble-Granite” guild-workers directed by taskmaster Hocklov.
The monument is huge. Its height is 8 meters and on the whole the height of the ensemble is 11 meters. It is one of the highest monuments to Lenin in the former USSR.
Under the Finnish occupation of Petrozavodsk, the monument was removed from the base and taken to pieces. They were kept in the University yard. Instead of the monument a Finnish cannon was installed. After Petrozavodsk was liberated the monument was reconstructed. On November 16, 1945 it was re-unveiled. In 1960, the square was renamed as Lenin Square.