Monzón de Campos Castle
Castle of Monzon de Campos
The oldest part is the elevated entrance of the present tower of homage.The coat of arms on the pointed arch of the main gate belongs to the Rojas family and has led experts to conclude that the enclosure was built in the 14th century.
Inside, the castle has not preserved the original distribution except in the tower. A Romanesque door was added to the tower of homage. It was brought in from a church that had been covered by the water of the dam in Aguilar de Campoo. The village of Monzón, with its castle, was the centre of a county donated to the Ansúrez family by the kings of León during the 10th and 11th centuries and in the 15th and 16th centuries it was owned by the Rojas, a family from Burgos that since 1530 had the title of Marquises of Poza. They are likely to have built the present castle in Monzón de Campos.
Monzón de Campos Castle lies, in the village by the same name, in the province of Palencia in Spain.
In medieval times the village of Monzón was protected by 2 castles because of its importance to the Kingdom of Leon. One of these stood at the site of the present castle. The other castle was built on a small hill next to the village and the Carrión river. This river was eroding this hill which led to the collapse of the hill thus destroying the castle. At present there is nothing left of that castle, although archeological excavations have taken place, the results of which can be seen in the British Museum in London and the Sephardic Museum in Toledo. Both these castles were build by Alfonso III, King of Leon as a defense against the Muslims.