The castle of Ravalet, also known as Tourlaville castle, is located in France, in the municipality of Tourlaville, Cherbourg-en-Cotentin, in the department of Manche in Normandy.
Renaissance blue shale castle, built between 1562 and 1575, property of the City of Cherbourg-en-Cotentin.
Medieval manor belonging to the royal domain, it is sold by François Ier. Jean II de Ravalet, lord of Tourlaville, acquires and builds on the manor where only the ruins of the old dungeon remains, a Renaissance castle, which he offers to his nephew, John III. He then shelters the incestuous loves of Julien and Marguerite de Ravalet, children of John III, who won them beheaded in the Place de Greve, Paris, December 2, 1603.
Following serious financial problems, the Ravalets sold the estate to Charles de Franquetot in 1653, which improved interior design before he died under the blows of his valet de chambre. He then moved from owners to owners, including Boudet de Crosville and Fouquet de Réville, becoming a farm in 1661. Hervé Clérel de Tocqueville, father of Alexis de Tocqueville, took possession in 1777. His grandson, René Clérel Tocqueville, mayor and mayor of the town, then renovates the building, landscaping the park and gardens (including a cave), and built a large greenhouse. But he is forced to resell it in 1906.
Used as a hospital during the First World War, the castle is listed in the inventory of historic monuments in 1930. The city of Cherbourg acquires the estate in 1935. It is occupied by the German army during the Second World War and the American troops at the Liberation.
The park is open to the public, the castle is open at certain times only, especially during the Heritage Days.