San Cucao Castle
The Torre de los Valdés, also known as Castillo de San Cucao is a Historic Artistic Monument located in the parish of San Cucao, in the Asturian council of Llanera.
The origin of the building is at the end of the 14th century when Diego Menéndez Valdés, the Elder, builds the original tower. The Valdés lineage is documented in the area since the 12th century. In 1880 a restoration is carried out that adds the terraced building, giving it the appearance of a castle.
During the twentieth century, various reforms were carried out that led to a change in its physiognomy, the four-sided seat post was replaced by a crenellated auction and large gothic bays were opened in the tower and in the architectural body. The saeteras of the upper floor, where the coat of arms of the Valdés, León, Castilla and Bernaldo de Quirós could correspond to their original construction.
It currently houses a hotel complex.